A lot of the kids, most in fact, in his class come in by themselves, hang their coats up and put their lunch boxes away and I've known for a while, although he has never mentioned it to me, that Dakota is ready to do the same. Me? Not so much.
I talked to him and asked him if he would like to do it, all by himself like a big boy. He was very excited about it and I asked him a few times if he's sure- telling him that he doesn't have to and that I could walk him in like usual. Finally he replied to me, "Don't worry Mommy. I'll give you a hug and a kiss and say goodbye" :( I talked to him over and over about how important it is that he go straight from the car into the school and straight to his class and not to go in any other room or with any adults other than his teachers (the door to the school is only about 25 feet from the car and his classroom is the 3rd door once you walk in). He recited all of this back to me- "Go straight to my class and put my hat in my sleeve and hang my coat up and put my lunch box in the basket."
Of course, I took his picture before we left and in the car seat while waiting in the drop off line. We pulled up and I unbuckled him, put his coat on and Mrs. Debbie opened the door and said, "Hi Dakota. This is your first time in the drop off line..." I said, "Kota, give me some loves" and next thing I know, he was hopping right out- Mrs. Debbie was struggling to keep him from falling out of the truck. So he was on his way, just like that. No hug. No kiss. Not even, "Bye Mommy." I forced out a laugh at how eager he was, when I really felt sad. I know he was so determined to be a big boy and do it the right way- the way we discussed. So determined that he forgot to say bye. He took a few steps away from the truck and I saw him look back, unsure- probably just realized he didn't say goodbye. I wanted to wait for him to get into the school and take a picture of him walking in, but I couldn't hold up the line so I pulled off. And I cried.
I felt like I dropped him off to Kindergarten. And I know that once he's accomplished it, he's never gonna let me walk him in anymore. But I am proud of him, for being a big boy and not crying. When I was pregnant, everyone said, "Cherish it, because they grow up fast." It seems so cliche, but in reality, it's the best advice I've ever had.


Thank you for making me cry! Awww... Our boys are getting so big!! Cliche or not, it's true! and I hate it!!! Fabulous pics of Kota man :)
ReplyDeleteIt is very true! They are getting so big :(
ReplyDeleteThanks!! :)
Aww, he looks so big and proud of himself!! Our sweet little babies have turned into sweet little BIG kids (sniff, sniff)
ReplyDeletep.s. is that his old car seat? lol you know i'm nosey and notice the background of most pictures before i actually see what the picture is of!
Yes, so big. Four is almost here for us...I'm hanging on to the last little bit of 3 that's left. Every year he turns, I say he's halfway to ______- First he was halfway to 2, then 4, 6 and now 8. Four years have passed FAST and I know the next four will be the same.
ReplyDeleteYeah that's his old car seat. Chase rode in it one day.